is happy to be in Toronto doesnt mean hell b(อ่าน 15 ครั้ง)
is happy to be in Toronto doesnt mean hell b เมื่อ: ธันวาคม 06, 2018, 01:25:41 pm
TORONTO -- Just because Tim Gleason is happy to be in Toronto doesnt mean hell be wearing a Maple Leafs jersey right away. Gleason, obtained from the Carolina Hurricanes for fellow defenceman John-Michael Liles and a prospect, practised with the Leafs for the first time Friday. But its uncertain if hell play Saturday night against the New York Rangers. "We feel he can make a contribution, and if it starts (Saturday) night or if it starts the next night or the night after, its always nice to have depth in defencemen," coach Randy Carlyle said. "I think its one of those things where youd like the player to get a little bit more familiar with your group, too. "Well see on how we feel he sets up." Gleason was paired with Mark Fraser on Friday. Fraser has been a healthy scratch for Torontos past six games and eight of the last nine. Carlyle provided some mixed signals on whether Gleason might be in the lineup for his size and physicality. "New Yorks got some big forwards in (Rick) Nash and (Brian) Boyle," he said. "Theyre a hockey club that will try to grind it down down-low. So those are all things you take into consideration." Carlyle and his staff must also consider Gleasons quick turnaround after being dealt New Years Day as the Leafs were playing in the Winter Classic. The veteran has a steep learning curve ahead of him. "Theres a lot of information, a lot of system things, kind of like going back to school, so its good," Gleason said. The 30-year-old left-handed shot had just one assist in 17 games for Carolina this season. He knew he was being traded about a week ago and was pulled out of games and practices beginning Dec. 31 against Montreal, so it didnt come as much of a surprise. Gleason, whose final game with the Hurricanes was at Air Canada Centre against the Leafs, also knew to expect more media attention than he got in Raleigh, N.C. "This is totally different from what Im used to. Theres usually two of you," Gleason said with a smile. "This is exciting, and (Im) happy to be a part of this club." The six-foot, 217-pound Gleason figures to fit in better with Carlyles ideal identity than the smaller, quicker Liles, whos more of a puck-mover. "I think Im a physical player," Gleason said. "Thats kind of how Ive earned my spot throughout my career so far, just being physical and being hard to play against and kind of bringing that gritty type of style of play." That gritty style of play is exactly why the Leafs acquired Gleason and his US$4-million cap hit that runs for two more seasons after this one. Unlike Liles, who was made expendable by the growth of Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner, Gleason wont be out of place. "I think were asking Tim Gleason to play the way hes accustomed to playing," Carlyle said. "Thats the style of play that hes etched out an NHL career (with), being a strong, physical, defensive defenceman. "We think he has something to offer to our group." Gleason will likely have something to offer as long as he can stay healthy. He missed time at the start of the season with a concussion and then separate stretches with an upper-body and then a lower-body injury. Asked if he was healthy now, Gleason deemed himself 100 per cent. "Obviously I had some issues prior at the beginning of the year, kind of a setback," he said. "But all good and ready to go and ready to get my game back here." Gleasons challenge in getting his game back has to do with the Leafs carrying eight defencemen. Theyve played eight this season, counting Liles, and at one point had a ninth on the roster in T.J. Brennan, who did not dress. That also could be a bit of a problem for Carlyle when it comes to juggling eight and only being able to play six or sometimes seven at a time. "Its always tough when youre making decisions whether people are in and out of the lineup. It does complicate it," Carlyle said. "But thats a luxury. We always state that when you start the beginning of the year, you think you need nine or 10 to get through the year. This years no different than that. "We just felt that with the way our team is and the way weve played that wed like to add some stiffness on the back end." The Leafs did that in getting Gleason for Liles and 2011 sixth-rounder Dennis Robertson, a defenceman whos playing at Brown University. Gleason had to waive his no-trade clause to make it happen and did so knowing it was a smart, practical move. "Ultimately it was our decision as a family," said Gleason, a veteran of 616 NHL regular-season games. "Youve been (in) a place for eight years, you kind of have friendships outside the hockey, things like that. It plays a big part in life itself. "But I knew as a hockey decision I had to move on, and what a better place to be than Toronto." Gleason arrived on a day temperatures reached -22 C and after snow had fallen across much of the region. That didnt bother the native of Clawson, Mich., which is about 20 minutes outside of Detroit. "Im a Michigander, so its not that far off," Gleason said. "Its in my blood. I tried to shake it for eight years, but I came back and I was used to it." NOTES -- Practice was delayed more than 40 minutes because of accidents on the west-bound section of the Gardiner Expressway. Accidents appeared to involve 10 cars in two separate places, and centre Nazem Kadri got caught up in congestion around Islington. It was unclear which other players were stuck in traffic getting out to the teams practice facility. ... The Leafs will wear their Winter Classic jerseys twice more this season, Jan. 18 against the Canadiens and Feb. 7 against the Canucks. Because of that, goaltender Jonathan Bernier will keep his vintage brown pads around before giving them to charity. ... The NHL said an average of 3.57 million people watched CBCs broadcast of the Winter Classic, which is the most for any non-playoff game in Canadian broadcast history. Indians Josh Donaldson Jersey .C. - Alberta prop Andrew Tiedemann will captain Canada against Uruguay on Friday, the opening day of competition at the IRB Americas Rugby Championship. Indians Lonnie Chisenhall Jersey . The defending champions’ roller coaster season included trading offensive star Percy Harvin in the midst of the team’s 3-3 start. That move that reportedly irked several Seahawk players, but one management saw necessary to save the team’s chemistry. http://www.cheapindiansjerseysauthentic.com/?tag=indians-satchel-paige-jersey.28 for a combined time of 1:14.70, also an Olympic record. Lee won the gold medal, defending her title from the Vancouver Games. Indians Eric Haase Jersey . By then it was clear: The 76ers were going to win for the first time in two months, and they were going to do it with ease. The 76ers snapped their NBA record-tying, 26-game losing streak, routing the Detroit Pistons 123-98 on Saturday night to avoid establishing the longest skid in U. Indians Oscar Mercado Jersey .Y. - Lou Williams scored 21 points and the Toronto Raptors beat New York 81-76 on Monday night in the Knicks preseason home opener.His latest victim called the ban excessive, Maradona suggested on Argentine TV FIFA might as well handcuff him and throw him in Guantanamo and the Uruguayan president suggested a hidden agenda. In banning Luis Suarez for nine international matches and all football related activity for a period of four months and fining him $100,000, FIFA made no provision for mandating the 27-year old Uruguayan to receive the professional help he so evidently requires. FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke stated Friday Suarez should seek treatment is clear evidence the governing body failed in this regard. I cant imagine a scenario in any of our major sports leagues where rehabilitation wasnt a significant aspect of any sanctioning handed down to a repeat offender. FIFA could learn much from the North American model where rehabilitation is an integral aspect of the disciplinary process. Which is a theme picked up by FIFPro, the players global union, who questioned why rehabilitation and professional support was not mandated by FIFA. The first part of that process is taking responsibility. Instead we learned this morning in his statement to the FIFA Disciplinary Panel, Suarez denied he deliberately bit Italys Giorgio Chiellini. "I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent. At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth." During post-match comments to Uruguayan TV Suarez claimed Chiellini bumped into him with his shoulder. This is in stark contrast with video which clearly shows it was Suarez who initiated contact between the players. "Deliberate, intentional and without provocation," was the disciplinary panels conclusion. Which could be the same words used for the two previous Suarez suspensions for biting an opponent. The first of which occurred only months after the world witnessed his deliberate hand-ball in the final minute of Uruguays quarter-final match against Ghana. In doing so Suarez denied opportunity for an African nation to make it to the semifinals of a World Cup for the first time in competition history. In the referees match report from Tuesdays pivotal Group D encounter Marco Rodriguez admits neither he, nor of any of his assistants saw the incident and that that was reason why Suarez was not punished at the time. In time we may well look back at this as the tipping point for introducing video replays.dddddddddddd During the FIFA congress which was held in the days leading up to the World Cup Sepp Blatter stunned all in attendance when he introduced the idea of allowing coaches through the course of a match two opportunities to challenge on-field decisions. Goal line technology was introduced for this World Cup as a consequence of not allowing the goal Frank Lampard scored in Englands Round-of-16 match against Germany at South Africa 2010. We saw GLTs worth only four days into Brazil 2014, when France was rightfully awarded a goal in their opening match against Honduras. Another distasteful aspect to all this is the way companies have looked to exploit for commercial gain one of the most unsavoury incidents in World Cup Finals history. The exception to this has been the online poker company who announced yesterday they had terminated their partnership with Suarez. A sizeable crowd of fans including the Uruguayan President had flocked to the airport in Montevideo in support of their ‘hero Thursday night in anticipation of his return home. However Suarez arrived back in Montevideo on a private jet in the early hours of Friday. Avoiding the fanfare and the spotlight in favour of anonymity might just be a first sign Suarez finally understands the full consequence of his irrational actions last Tuesday. Suarez now has to ignore the sentiment of a nation, the loyalty of his manager and the outpouring of sympathy he has received in favour of the wise words from Uruguays original football icon, Alcides Ghiggia. Ghiggia - who scored the winning goal for Uruguay when they beat Brazil in the 1950 World Cup Final - has been outspoken in his criticism of Suarez. Lets hope when Uruguay take to the pitch for the pre-match warm up ahead of Saturday afternoons Round-of-16 match against Colombia they dont wear t-shirts in support of Suarez, as Liverpool players did in December, 2011 when he was given an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester Uniteds Patrice Evra. Instead they hopefully counsel Suarez to admit the errors of his ways and take full responsibility. Only then can he begin the long journey back to the sanctuary of the football pitch. Noel.Butler@BellMedia.ca @TheSoccerNoel on Twitter TSN Radio is an official licensed radio broadcaster of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Check www.tsn.ca/radio for the broadcast schedule in your home town. cheap falcons jerseys cheap ravens jerseys cheap bills jerseys cheap bears jerseys cheap bengals jerseys cheap cowboys jerseys cheap lions jerseys cheap texans jerseys cheap colts jerseys cheap jaguars jerseys cheap chiefs jerseys cheap rams jerseys cheap dolphins jerseys cheap vikings jerseys cheap saints jerseys cheap giants jerseys cheap jets jerseys cheap eagles jerseys cheap steelers jerseys cheap 49ers jerseys ' ' '